The 60 Ton Narrow Gauge oil burning locomotive found at the Borax Museum
at Furnace Creek is one of two that hauled borax from the borax mines of Ryan to Death Valley
Junction from 1915 till about 1927.
The locomotives and rolling stock used on the Death Valley Railroad
came from the Tonopah and Tidewater's old Borate and Daggett Railroad out
in the Calico Hills.
When mining ceased at Ryan, the miners dormitories were converted
into the Death Valley View Hotel. From 1927 till around 1930 this same
locomotive was used to haul tourists from Death Valley Junction to the
Death Valley View Hotel at Ryan.