minnietta1.jpg (47372 bytes)

  Cabin at the Minnietta Belle Mine just below Lookout City, which is on mountain top behind the cabin. The Minnietta Belle Mine was discovered in early 1876 by 3 prospectors who in turn sold it for $30,000.00 to an investment group. These investors raised capital by selling 100,000 shares at $2.00 apiece. They then hired Richard Jacobs, the same man who worked as superintendent over at the mill at Panamint City. By the end of 1876 Jacobs had erected a 10 stamp mill at the Minnietta. The first bullion was shipped by Nadeau's teams in May 1877.
  The Minnietta Belle was purchased by Jack Gunn in 1898, who had run a saloon in Lookout City. The Mine remained in the Gunn family and was worked intermittently till the end of WWII.
  The Eastern California Museum in Independence has quite a collection of   possessions of the Gunn family on display there, including rare large music box, and a photograph of Mrs Gunn taken by Ansel Adams.

Previous  Back   Next