| The ruins of the
two-story Wingate Hall, which was built into the bank of the gulch on the north side of
Main Street. There was a saloon which operated in the basement, and another that operated
on the second story. The first floor was used as a grocery and miners supply store. It was
here that the "Citizen's Safety Committee" met during the Feb. 1864 vigilante
uprising which resulted in 4 local hoodlums being hanged..
This building along with all the other brick buildings were destroyed by vandals during the early 1950's in order to supply Southern California with used brick for construction of new homes.
Previous Back Next