Mill Ruins near the Pioneer Mine.
Rachael and Sarah found an old safe near a collapsed cabin.
| The Pioneer Gold mine was
discovered in 1907 as an outgrowth of the excitement in the Bullfrog district, and by the
end of 1908 the town of Pioneer had come into being with the Mayflower and the Pioneer as
the principle mines.
Pioneer featured it's own newspaper and the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad advertised passenger service to Pioneer via Rhyolite. In 1913 the Pioneer mine installed a 10-stamp mill that operated for three years. A fire in 1909 destroyed the town and the camp was only partially rebuilt.
A Pioneer take-out chicken restaurant operated here until competition from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" forced them out of business.
Back to Nevada Page